Re: Gap in a plot.

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 14:53:43 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Erdem Uney wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been searching PyNGL and NCL pages on how to create a plot with a
> gap. What I want to do is to draw a plot from 1960 to 2100 and for viewing
> and data purposes I want to put a gap between the years 1990 and 2070.
> You can find an example in this page I found on the net while searching.
> http://www.graphpad.com/help/Prism5/prism5help.html?discontinuous_and_hidden_axes.htm
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this? A quick solution I found was to draw
> two plots side by side. One with Y values missing but I assume this is not
> the best solution.
>
> Thanks in advance...
> Cheers,
> Erdem

Dear Erdem,

I chatted with Dave Brown about this, and we both agree that you've
probably found the best way to do this, and that is to draw the plots
side-by-side. There's currently no way in PyNGL or NCL to draw one
continuous plot with gaps and changes in the spacing on an axis.

With regard to the solution you said you found, we're not sure what
you mean by "one with Y values missing". What we think you mean, and
what we think is the best solution, is to draw your the leftmost plot
with the top and right axis turned off, then draw the rightmost plot
slightly to the right of this, with all but the bottom axis turned
off.

Please see example "xy1.py" (the very last one) at:

   http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Examples/gallery.shtml

for an example of how to turn off individual axes.

For individually positioning and resizing plots on a page, you want to
use the vpXF, vpYF, vpWidthF, and vpHeightF resources.

Example "ngl07p.py" on the same page shows how to set these resources.

If you get something working with PyNGL and would like to contribute
it to our gallery and distribution, let me know. I would need to
include your data as part of our distribution, or else I can create a
dummy data set.

Thanks,