Re: pre-compiled binaries want libg2c.so

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:37:30 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dallas,

There are a number of reasons that PyNGL and PyNIO are not yet open
source. The main one is that NCL, which these two packages are built
on top of, is also not open source. These three software packages are
somewhat difficult to build because of dependencies on several
external software packages: netCDF, HDF 4, HDF2-EOS, and Gctp, to name
a few.

It would be somewhat of a nightmare for our users to try to get all
these packages to work in sync with each other, and hence we provide
binaries.

We have a strong desire to go open-source, and this is something we
hope to consider soon. We also have to consider what it means to try
to support those users who decide to build from source and then come
back to us for help. The consulting load could be significant.

Having said this, we are willing to work with users who are UNIX savvy
to help them build these packages on their systems. Also, I have a
gcc 4.1.1 system that I could try building PyNGL and PyNIO for you.

Let me know which route you want to take.

--Mary