pynio/grib question

From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:18:32 -0600

Hi all:

When opening a grib1 file with PyNIO, is there any way to find out what
the precision of the grib data is? For example, geopotential height
data is usually packed in grib so that it has a precision of 1 meter
(there are no significant digits to the right of the decimal point). I
presume this information is in the binary data section (BDS) of the grib
file, but I don't think it is converted to a variable attribute in
PyNIO. What I'm looking for is something like the
least_significant_digit attribute in the CDC netCDF conventions
(http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cdc/conventions/cdc_netcdf_standard.shtml).

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449