Re: pynio/grib question

From: David Ian Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:56:20 -0600

Hi Jeff,
You are correct that PyNIO does not currently give any indication of
the precision of the data in
any attribute similar to the CDC least_significant_digit attribute. I
can look into this as a possible enhancement.
However, a problem that I can foresee based on a quick perusal of some
files with wgrib is that because the
packing for each GRIB record is handled individually, based, I believe,
on the range of the data within the
record, the least significant digit may not be constant for all
horizontal slices of a PyNIO GRIB variable. I would have to
investigate further to know whether this is really the case. If it is,
I suppose one could provide a maximum and
minimum least significant digit for the variable as a whole.
  -dave