RE: [pyngl-talk] Problem importing Ngl

From: Harun Rashid <H.Rashid_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:42:50 +1000

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your email. Yes, I've finally got importing Ngl right on my
machine. Over the weekend I upgraded my cygwin and python (to 1.5.14-1 and
2.4, respectively), and after a few minor minor problems I've got things
alright now.

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your
colleagues at NCAR for this great job of developing PyNGL. I was previously
using CDAT for my climate analysis work, which I loved. However, using
(i.e., fine-tuning) the graphics in CDAT was too cumbersome for me, and
lured by the nice looking graphs by NCL and its very useful
meteorological/climatological functions I switched to using NCL. I've been
happily using NCL since then. However, I'm still missing python because of
its flexibility and power as well as for the possibility of using other
climate-related python packages. So I was delighted to learn about PyNGL,
which would enable us to use NCL under python. Thanks for the PyNGL
developed so far; please, keep up the good work. I (and I believe many
others) are eagerly waiting for the inclusion of the NCL functions into
PyNGL.

Cheers,
Harun

Dr. M. Harun Ar Rashid
Bureau of Meteorology Research Centre Email: h.rashid_at_bom.gov.au
PO Box 1289K Tel : +61 3
9669 4550
Melbourne, Victoria 3001 Fax : +61 3 9669
4660
Australia
http://www.bom.gov.au/bmrc