Non Uniform grids

From: James Boyle <boyle5_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:25:33 -0800

Some observations after playing with some of the examples:
(1) In the geodesic.py demo if I set the initial nglDraw and nglFrame
(lines 70,71) resources to True the plot bombs. I get:

In [71]: contour = Ngl.contour(wks,ke,resources)
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: CTTMTL/ICAEDG - LOGIC ERROR
  ERROR 4 IN CTTMTL/ICAEDG - LOGIC ERROR
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: CTMESH - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened

I would like to use this facility for plots other than lat/lon map
plots - is this possible.

(2) the chkbay.py and seam.py both work OK if I set the inital
Draw/Frame to True.

(3) The description how the grid is defined is unclear in the seam.py -
the lat/lon grids are two dimensional but the grid elements are
described as quadrilaterals which need 4 points? So how does this work?

Bottom line - a bit more information is needed to make the really
powerful routines more useful. As it stands, I do not have enough
information to generalize the examples beyond the specific grids used.
I would think that I could produce the clmdiv plot in a couple of calls
if I could figure out what the various mesh routines need as input.
The one I understand and is the easiest to implement is the
sfXCellBounds/sfYCellBounds but as seen above, there is something I do
not get.

Thanks for any help.
--Jim