Re: Changing map used in Ngl.contour_map(...)

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:43:48 -0600 (MDT)

> Ngl is a very nice implementation. I am enjoying working with it.

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear this.

> Those of us doing paleoclimate simulations need to put alternate contour
> outlines on maps. Is there any way to get Ngl.contour_map(...) to
> use a user-specified continent database? If not, what is the
> suggested work-around? What if I just want the map projection features
> in Ngl.contour_map(...), but not the continent outlines themselves?

I will defer to our two Daves (who are hopefully reading this message)
on your question about inputting a user-specified continent database.

The suggested work-around would probably be to input a list of lat/lon
points and draw them using Ngl.polyline. However, I know we've
included other user-defined outlines, but I'm not sure what the
algorithm for this is.

If you don't want the continental outlines, try turning them off by
setting the "mpOutlineOn" resource to False.

> Another thing I noticed is that nglMaximize doesn't do a very good job
> of filling up the x11 plot window when the axis ratio isn't 1:1. I'm
> using vpHeightF = .5 and vpWidthF = 1, and with a 2:1 window
> a lot of unnecessary blank space is left about.

Can you send me an example? you can change the output to "ncgm" and
email me the resultant *.ncgm file.

The X11 window will always be square, so the plot has to be maximized
in the biggest possible area that it can in a square. You will see
lots of white space, then, in your case, in the horizontal direction,
but hopefully not much in the vertical direction.

It's also possible that there's an invisible "gremlin" that's causing
additional white space. An example of a gremlin is a title with all
spaces. You won't see the title, but it is still considered part of
the plot, and thus space will be allocated for it.