Re: Problems with ps/eps files

From: Fred Clare <fredclare_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:14:32 -0700

We dealt with Andy off-line on this and post here so as to have
a record of it. The original response was:

> Andy,
>
> I have looked at your files and I see no problem with them.
> The thing that is causing the import problem must be
> the Postscript images in the file. NCL raster mode ultimately
> creates a Postscript "colorimage" operater and I looked at
> those operators and the byte counts and encodings all look fine.
> As a test I have generated EPS files with a very
> simple image in them (a 3x2 array using different colored
> recatangles). I have attached the two files. The first one
> (test_0.eps) has no preview image in it, and the second
> one (test_1.eps) does have a preview image. A valid EPS
> file is not required to have a preview image, but I include
> this on the remote chance that it could have some relevance.
> Please let me know if you can import these files correctly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Fred Clare

Andy responded that Illustrator failed to import the
simple files. The problem apparently results from Illustrator's
having an odd glitch in not being able to correctly import
Postscript "colorimage" operators. Since Andy has a workaround,
we left it at that, though this might be worth pursuing with
Adobe.

Fred Clare.