RE: [pyngl-talk] PyNGL & Cygwin

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:52:09 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Arrington, Christopher (Windsor, CT-US) wrote:

> Correct Jeff. I'm new to the Python world and I'm still picking up the terminology.
>
> There is not an installer for Numeric 24.2 and Python 2.5, as Numeric is no longer supported.
>
> Is there a reason that there is not a version of PyNGL that is useable with Numpy and Cygwin (at least as standard downloads)?
>
> As a more general question, why is PyNIO tied into the Cygwin library? I can see the need for X windows in the PyNGL module, but I thought PyNIO was effectively a simple data IO formatter.

Chris,

I'm not sure exactly sure how these libraries are tied in with each
other when we do a build of PyNIO and PyNGL under Cygwin. I'm using
Python distutils to do the linking, and as far as I can tell, there's
nothing special being done on Cygwin systems.

Perhaps there's just some kind of incompatibility with using Python
2.5 with a Python 2.4 compiled module. I can try to build Python 2.5
on my Cygwin system, but I'm currently waiting for my ethernet
connection to be fixed (currently only wireless is working for me, and
my Cygwin box doesn't do wireless; it's ancient).

As a side, I'd like to mention that we are looking into going open source
with all of our Python (and NCL) software, and are currently reviewing
some OSI-compliant licenses. We also have to get the okay from some
3rd party software vendors to include their software.

If you like, I can try to help you get PyNIO and PyNGL going on your
system, using source code. Send me a personal email if you're interested.

--Mary