Re: PyNGL binaries being moved...

From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:07:45 -0600

Mary Haley wrote:

> Dear PyNGL testers/users,
>
> Two announcements: we now have a PyNGL binary for Cygwin, and the
> PyNGL binaries have been moved (the Cywin binary is in the new
> location).
>
> In an attempt to collect better metrics on PyNGL usage and thus
> determine future directions for PyNGL, we are moving the PyNGL
> binaries to the Earth System Grid (http://www.earthsystemgrid.org/)
> website, effective immediately. (We recently did the same thing with
> the NCL binaries.)
>
> For those of you unfamiliar with the Earth System Grid:
>
> The Earth System Grid (ESG) integrates supercomputers with
> large-scale data and analysis servers located at numerous national
> labs and research centers to create a powerful environment for
> next generation climate research.
>
> Downloading PyNGL from the ESG requires an account registration with a
> name and password, and a short form to fill out. Somewhere in the
> "Statement of work" field, please indicate that you are a PyNGL
> user. If you have already registered on the ESG for NCL downloads,
> then you don't need to register separately for PyNGL downloads.

Am I the only one who finds this highly annoying? Another survey to
fill out, another password to remember. It's only going to discourage
people from using NCL/PyNGL, and for what? Better metrics? Phhpt.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449