Default behavior of plot window

From: R. T. Pierrehumbert <rtp1_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:47:03 -0600

Something I've often wondered about in Ngl and ncl:

Why is the default behavior of the plot window (after a call
to Ngl.xy without any resources set, e.g.) to leave the plot
window up, not return the prompt until the window is clicked,
and erasing the plot after the window is clicked? This seems like
about the least likely behavior the user would want. It is only
really useful when one wants to step through a large number
of graphs quickly.

I know I can get around this behavior by fiddling with nglDraw,
nglFrame resources, and using Ngl.panel(....) to do the actual
drawing, but this seems to make the most commonly desired
behavior (i.e. leave up the plot and give me my prompt back)
the hardest one to get. I note also that if I just do a call
to Ngl.xy(...) with nglFrame = False, I get my prompt back,
but I don't get a box defining my plot axes. I have to do a one-panel
graph to get that. That seems like rather strange behavior too.
(Consistent with ncl behavior, but equally strange in any case).

--Ray