Re: installing PyNGL from source

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2011 - 10:19:55 MST

Hi Matth,

First, what kind of problems did you have with the precompiled binaries?

It looks like you are building PyNGL with cairo support requested (this gives you the capability to
directly write PNG files). If you want cairo support, you will need to build the cairo libraries
separately (cairo, fontconfig, pixman-1, freethpe, and expat).

Some of these libraries may already be on your system, but it looks like the cairo library is not, or
else it can't be found.

If you have the cairo library already, then you can try setting the CAIRO_PREFIX environment
variable to point to the root directory of where the ciaro lib and include files are installed.
There's information about this and other XXXX_PREFIX variables you can set in the PyNGL setup.py file.

Please see the section on building and installing optional software for PyNGL. It includes instructions on
cairo and other libraries you might need:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/build_pyngl_from_src.shtml#BuildOptionalSoftware

If you don't want to build with CAIRO support, then make sure you haven't setenv HAS_CAIRO to 1
(cairo support is off by default).

Let me know if you have further questions or problems.

--Mary