Re: NIo - 1.2 : hdfeos/hdf extensions

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:19:12 -0600 (MDT)

Jim,

Dave Brown pointed out that I was making your question harder than I
needed to. In order to force Nio to read your data as an HDF-EOS file,
you can just append a ".hdfeos" suffix to the end of the name in the
open_file call. I believe Dennis Shea already showed you this from an
NCL script.

For example, if the file is called "file.hdf" and you want to read it
as an HDF-EOS file:

    filename = "file.hdf"
    Nio.open_file(filename + ".hdfeos")

Nio will first look for a file called "file.hdf.hdfeos", and if it
doesn't find this, then it will look for a file called "file.hdf", and
it will try to open it as an HDF-EOS file.

This applies to any file you have that you want to open with
Nio.open_file: you can always include the suffix if the original
filename doesn't have one, without having to rename your original
file. Another example: if you have a GRIB file called "U78559", you
can open it with:

    Nio.open_file("U78559.grb")

--Mar