Announcing PyNGL/PyNIO V1.2.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:48:45 -0600 (MDT)

I'm pleased to announce that a new version of PyNGL and PyNIO (V1.2.0)
is now available. We've built binaries for these packages on several
systems using Python 2.4.4, Python 2.5, NumPy 1.0.3, and Numeric 24.2.

For information on downloading and what's new, see:

    http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/download.shtml
    http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/whatsnew.shtml

  [Note: For the next release of PyNGL and PyNIO, we plan to be open
   source. We are hoping to adopt the Univ of Illinois/NCSA Open
   Source License. In the near futuree, we may drop support for
   Numeric. Let us know if this is a problem for you.]

One major change in this new version is that NumPy is now the
"default" array module package. This means, to import PyNGL and PyNIO
with NumPY, use:

import Ngl, Nio

To import PyNGL and PyNIO for use with Numeric, use:

import PyNGL_numeric.Ngl as Ngl
import PyNGL_numeric.Nio as Nio

Here are some of the new features in this version:

   - Support for reading GRIB2 files
   - Support for reading/writing classic netCDF 4 files
   - New functions
   - New pynglex examples
   - Twelve new color tables

If you have problems with these binaries, please email me. One user
has run into a problem with exception handling and we think it's due
to him having glibc 2.5, and we only have 2.3. We will try to fix
these kind of problems if we can get access to a similar system.

Cheers,