Re: axis control resources

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:15:54 -0700

Ray,

On Nov 22, 2004, at 3:10 PM, R. T. Pierrehumbert wrote:

> I know how to set up a logarithmic axis, but there are a few other
> common axis options I haven't been able to figure out how to do:
>
> (1) How do I specify an axis to be "reversed", i.e. with the
> higher values at the beginning of the axis? This is the sort
> of thing one commonly does when plotting a sounding as a function
> of pressure.

There are resources trXReverse and trYReverse that generally work
for all coordinate axes and plot types except maps.

> (2) In the above example, to plot T as a function of p but have the
> pressure come out on the vertical axis, I know I can do:
> Ngl.xy(w,T,p)
> but is there also a resource that can be specified saying that the
> two axes should be switched? e.g. something like
> Ngl.xy(w,p,T,r), where we have something like r.switchAxes = 1.
> This isn't a big deal, but in some cases my code would be cleaner
> if I could control the appearance of the graph by setting the resource,
> instead of changing the call to Ngl.xy

There is currently no such resource for XY plots. For contour plots
there is a
resource called sfExchangeDimensions that would do what you want
as long as 2D coordinate arrays are not used.