Re: PyNGL/PyNIO and NCL 6.1.x

From: David B. Reusch <dreusch_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Apr 23 2013 - 15:53:25 MDT

Hi Mary, Dave B,

I'm actually getting by ok by doing the part I need PyNIO for on
yellowstone. I have to ship some files back and forth but, given my
timeline, it's a lot easier than trying to figure out installs on my
home machines. Turns out I'm only using PyNIO and not PyNGL in this
script, and purely in a read-a-netCDF-file mode, no writing (that email
went out a little too quickly yesterday!).

I went into this thinking I'd have to go back to NCL 6.0 before running
the script, so I did that yesterday on yellowstone: it all worked.
This morning, forgetting to repeat that, it looked like things were
working even with 6.1.1 ( my yellowstone default). But I caught it and
went back to 6.0 to be safe.

Bigger picture, I haven't actually used PyNGL enough to have any
specific feature requests. I converted one plotting script about a year
ago but haven't been back, though it is definitely something I'd like to
use more. Having PyNGL and PyNIO available again would certainly be a
welcome development :-) It's not looking like an urgent/critical need
here at the moment though since I have the yellowstone option out there.

Re: PyNIO and 6.1.1, I'm not even sure I tried reinstalling that back in
January (after my NCL upgrades). Is there any chance the old release
would still work? It'll be a couple weeks before I'll get to it.

For what it's worth, I have a mixed Linux/Mac environment:
Fedora Core 18
Linux siple.ees.nmt.edu 3.8.5-201.fc18.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Mar 28 21:01:19
UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
python 2.7.3
numpy 1.7.0
gcc 4.7.2

OS 10.7
Darwin nilas.ees.nmt.edu 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23
16:26:45 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386 MacPro2,1
Darwin
python 2.7.1
numpy 1.5.1
gcc 4.2.1

OS 10.8
Darwin mawson 12.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.3.0: Sun Jan 6 22:37:10
PST 2013; root:xnu-2050.22.13~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 i386 MacBookAir4,2
Darwin
python 2.7.2
numpy 1.6.1
gcc 4.7.2