Re: super computing python

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2011 - 09:39:44 MST

Hi Jim,

Thanks for pointing this out!

This position is for a summer student intern in our SIParCS (Summer
Internships in Parallel Computational Science) program. The program
runs for about 10-11 weeks and usually involves researching some topic
in parallel computing.

There are certainly pockets of Python users at NCAR, but not a wide
adoption. We have a Python email list, and it hardly gets any traffic.

The big models are usually written in compiled languages, and then
people use individual tools of their own choice for post-processing:
NCL, Python, Grads, IDL, Matlab, R, and others.

This reminds me: we have monthly software engineering seminars, if
anybody is interested in coming to NCAR and giving a talk on how they
use Python in the climate/atmospheric sciences. I believe they can pay
for travel and a small honorarium. I think this topic would be of
great interest at NCAR, especially if you can appeal to both the
scientists and software engineers.

If anybody is interested in looking into this, send me an email and
I'll put you in touch with the seminar folks.

--Mary