Re: Default NCL tickmarks in PyNGL

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jul 13 2011 - 13:17:39 MDT

Hi Deepak,

You are right that the tickmarks you get with PyNGL are the ones that you get when you set pmTickMarkDisplayMode to "Always" in gsn_csm. This is because when gsn_csm was first written, we didn't have a way to create the degree style map tickmarks, so we created our own (without the degree symbol). Later, NCL was augmented to allow the degree-style tickmarks, and since most people seemed to like this style better, we decided to make it the default for PyNGL.

Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of options in customizing these map tickmarks.

To get the gsn_csm default style, you need to create your own tickmarks and overlay them on a map plot. You can do this by creating a blank plot, customizing the tickmarks on that blank plot, and then overlaying the blank plot on the map.

I've created an example, but this will only work with PyNGL 1.3.1 (hopefully I don't have any post-1.3.1 stuff in there).

See attached.

--Mary