custom PyNio grib table

From: Bryan Woods <bwoods_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 15:30:00 MDT

Challenge of the day: I am trying to use a custom GRIB1 table (that I
wrote) with PyNio. I saw the documentation online, but the method of
specifying the environment variable does not seem to be working. I
thought it might be the version matching, but I even tried to force the
match.

I first set the environment variable to point to my grib table.

[rd11:~] bwoods% echo $NIO_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH
/Users/bwoods/Desktop/afwatable.gtb
[rd11:~] bwoods% head
$NIO_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH
!
! parameter table for the Air Force Weather Agency
! center = 57, subcenter = 4, version = 132
!
-1 : -1 : -1 : -1
0 : var0 : : undefined
1 : PRES : Pa : Pressure
2 : PRMSL : Pa : Pressure reduced to MSL
3 : PTEND : Pa/s : Pressure tendency
4 : PVORT : K m^2/kg s : Potential Vorticity

However, when I try to load the grib1 file it does not find the table.

>>> inF =
Nio.open_file('/Users/bwoods/solar/TestData/scratch/PS.AFWA_SC.U_DI.A_GP.WRF_GR.L15KM_AR.CONUS_PA.GPOST57LYR_CY.18_FH.012.grb')
warning:NclGRIB: Unknown grib parameter number detected (157, center 57,
table version 132 grib record 1), using default variable name (VAR_157)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan