missing values loaded from GRIB2

From: Bryan Woods <bwoods_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Feb 24 2011 - 10:53:23 MST

Hello,

I am loading in HWRF data from the GRIB2 files using PyNIO. Once I load
them into numpy arrays I am left with a halo of values near the
boundaries that appear to be empty. When I print them or use them in
conditional statements I get values of '--' back. I'd like to turn these
values into zeroes at the very least.

I can't find anything in the numpy documentation that addresses this
type of missing value so I am wondering if this is something unique to
PyNIO. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks,
Bryan