PyNIO: "attributes" dict not updated after adding new attributes

From: Michael Decker <m.decker_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 22 2010 - 04:23:03 MDT

Hi everyone,

I just stumbled upon the following problem after switching from __dict__
to attributes for access to NetCDF attributes with PyNIO.

It seems that the "attributes" dict is not updated after writing new
(global) attributes to a NetCDF file when accessing it through the
"attributes" attribute. "__dict__" on the other hand is updated
instantly. To get the new attributes into the "attributes" dict, I have
to close and reopen the file.

I have only tested this for global attributes so far, so I don't know if
it works on variable attributes or not.

Attached is a small script that shows the problem on my system (64bit
Debian/GNU Linux stable with PyNIO 1.4.0)

So as a workaround I just close and reopen the files if I want to read
the new attributes from them for now.
Is this a known bug or in any way intended to behave like that? It seems
a little inconsistent to me.

Cheers,
Michael

--