Re: Installation problem on Ubuntu 10.04

From: Andrea Cimatoribus <cimatori_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 05:43:06 MDT
Hi Mary,
first of all, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the problem.
I first changed the directory in pynglex file, and now it works, but just to give:

Error: I am unable to import the NumPy version of Ngl via
              'import Ngl'

Indeed I did the untar in the /usr directory (and to be sure, I did it again), and ls of the directories
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyN*
does give quite a lot of output, among which I see Nio.py, Ngl.py,...

Just to be sure, I checked that I do have numpy installed (it works with 'import numpy', not 'import NumPy').

Thanks for the support,
Andrea

Mary Haley wrote:
Hi Andrea,

This could be a simple path problem. The pynglex problem is something different.

What does:

  which python

report, and where did you untar the PyNGL tar file from?

You need to untar it in the *root* directory of where python resides.

For example, if "which python" reports "/usr//bin", then
the root directory is "/usr" (and NOT /usr/bin or /usr/lib).

This means you should be in /usr when you untar the file.

To fix pynglex, you can edit the file directory and change
/d2/haley/external/bin/python2.6 to /usr/bin/python.

It sounds like your python installation is in /usr. Do you
see anything if you type:

   ls /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages

and

   ls /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/PyNGL

?

--Mary