GRIB2 Variable Names

From: David Brodrick <david_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:06:53 +1000

Greetings,
I have recently moved from processing GFS forecasts in grib1 format to
grib2.

I have checked with Jordan Alpert at NOAA and he says the grib2 files
contain all of the same data as the grib1 files - however I cannot
figure out what the variables are called. AFAIK NIO generates the
variable names based on some algorithm, so I think my question is an NIO
question and not a GFS question(?).

It seems to me that when I run..
  f=Nio.open_file(i)
  for j in f.variables:
    print f.variables[j]
..that not all of the variables actually contained in the grib2 file get
printed.

Specifically I am trying to work out what the variable for total cloud
cover over all layers in the atmosphere is called, but I think that
other fields also appear to be missing but are actually in there.

Many thanks for your advice or direction.
Cheers,
  David