Re: GIS based flash simulation

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 08:09:07 -0700

PyNGL is strictly a graphics package, and doesn't read in data
formats other than simple ASCII files.
It outputs the graphics in EPS, PS and PDF. We are researching adding
direct PNG and possibly
geotiff output to this list. We often use the ImageMagick's "convert"
utility to convert from PS/PDF
to other formats like PNG and JPG; this has worked pretty well for us.

You can use PyNIO to read in NetCDF, HDF-4 (SDS), HDF-EOS2, GRIB1 and
GRIB2 data. PyNIO doesn't
handle GIS-based data, although we are researching shapefiles as a
way of allowing users to input
lat/lon data and add it to our existing map database.

Hopefully somebody else on pyngl-talk will have information about if
they've used PyNGL in a
similar way to what you've described.

--Mary