Nio Hangs With __setslice__ on Unlimited Dimension

From: Omer Bar-or <cremlae_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 10:43:52 -0600

Hello,

I am using Nio version 1.2.0 on 32-bit Debian 4.0 (Etch). (uname -a is
at the bottom.)

When setting a variable's data to an existing array, my understanding of
the best practice (at least from Scientific.IO.NetCDF) is to do the
following:

var[:] = arr

This practice works correctly when var is of a limited dimension, but if
it is of the unlimited dimension, Nio hangs (at least for the twenty
minutes or so that I let it run) and cannot be killed with ctrl-c or the
TERM signal.

The only solution I have found is to specify the ending index explicitly:

var[:len(arr)] = arr

Is this a bug? Is there a cleaner way to set an unlimited variable with
a slice of data?

An example script on which Nio hangs (virtually copied from the nio04.py
example) is attached. Line 35 is the relevant line.

Thanks,
- Omer.

P.S.
> uname -a
Linux laika 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux