PyNGL and Cyrillic symbols

From: Mikhail Itkin <itkin.m_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:21:04 +0300

Hello,

I am sorry if i am repeating some frequent question, but i haven't
managed to resolve my problem yet via searching forums, etc.

The problem lays in using cyrillics symbols in all of the plots, maps
that i build with PyNgl. No matter which coding (cp1251, koi8-r or
utf-8) i denote in the script, on the output images there are only
star symbols instead of wanted cyrillic letters.

I am not familiar how the font system works in PyNGL, but i assume
cyrillics support is missing, though i hope it isn't.

As i understood there is a workaround for this problem, like using
Font table 11 ("complex_cyrillic"). Then it works, but since i am
using PyNGL quite frequently such way is little bit confusing and time
consuming.

Is there a fix for such issue?

Thanks in advance,
Mikhail