PyNGL & Cygwin

From: Arrington, Christopher \(Windsor, CT-US\) <CArrington_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:13:03 -0400

I was wondering if anyone could help me with getting PyNGL to work with
Cygwin.

I am working on a programming project to convert air quality modeling
output to NetCDF format, which will be used in ESRI's ArcGIS, so all I'm
really interested in PyNIO, but it only comes bundled with PyNGL.

I just recently installed Cygwin, and chose to download Python 2.5 with
Cygwin. In the past, I've been using Python 2.4, since it is the
version compatible with ArcGIS.

Now the only version of PyNGL that is available for Cygwin is the one
that uses Numeric 24.2. And Numeric 24.2 (since it is not updated
anymore and NumPy seems to have replaced it) is only compatible with
Python 2.4. But Cygwin does not allow the download of Python 2.4
anymore, only Python 2.5.

Therefore, unless you have a older download of Cygwin and Python, is not
compatible with the available PyNGL download anymore.

I did install Numeric 24.2 and PyNGL to my older Python 2.4 install, but
I get the error

"This application has failed to start because libpython2.4.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".

>From looking at the Cygwin installation, I believe that file comes with
the Cygwin Python distribution, because the 2.5 installation contains
the file libpython2.5.dll

Thank You

Chris Arrington, P.E.
TRC Environmental