Passing field to a function

From: Jesper Larsen <jl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:03:15 +0100

Hi PyNIO and PyNGL users,

I have an application in which I would like to pass a single NioVariable to a
function. In the function I also have to use some dimension NioVariable and
therefore pass them in as well. However, if I only keep my NioVariable (nv)
and set the parent NioFile object to [] and subsequently

print nv

it prints the dimensions as well - even though they are deleted. It therefore
seems like nv has kept a reference to the parent NioFile object and children
dimension NioVariables (and thus prevented them from being garbage
collected).

My question is: Is it possible and advisable to only pass my NioVariable (nv)
into my function and use the reference to the parent NioFile object (which I
can't find - but maybe you can tell me how to find it) to retrieve the
dimension NioVariables that I need as well? And how do I do that?

Regards,
Jesper