Masked arrays and missing value codes

From: R. T. Pierrehumbert <rtp1_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:20:31 -0600

Missing values are always a headache to handle, especially when
they have to be encoded as a "special" numerical value in the
dataset. Masked arrays provide a much cleaner way to handle
missing values. The MA module is about as widespread
and stable as Numeric, and I'd like to suggest that, in future
evolutions it might be nice if Ngl.xy could take masked arrays
as arguments.

I noticed that Ngl.contour accepts CDMS masked variables and probably
also regular masked arrays, but I haven't checked to see if the contour
plotting makes use of the mask.

--Ray