Re: [pyngl-talk] contouring of irregular grids

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:06:54 -0600 (MDT)

> As far as I can tell, the ngl_contour, ngl_contour_map examples only
> plot data that are equally spaced.
> Thus gaussian grids and most pressure grids must be interpolated to a
> regular grid before they can be plotted.
> Since I work with CAM3 and ERA40 model and and model level data, the
> aforementioned irregular grids constitute virtually all my data.
>
> If it is true that only regular spaced grids can be plotted, then there
> is a need for some interpolation functions.
> Are any forthcoming?
> Or some examples as to how to plot irregular grids.
> The natgrid example is a bit of overkill for gaussian grids.
> Is the ngmath stuff all wrapped?
>
> Thanks for any enlightenment.
>
> --Jim

Jim,

Your data do not need to be equally-spaced. Do you have 1D coordinate
arrays that represent the grid that your data is measure on? If so,
you want to set the sfXArray and sfYArray resources to
these arrays.

I know some of the PyNGL examples set these two resources, but I
haven't looked in detail at the values being passed to these
resources. It's quite possible that we just happened to pick examples
that all have equally spaced coordinate arrays. I will see if I can
find an example with unequally-spaced data.