Problem with PyNIO

From: Mathieu Dutour <mathieu.dutour_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 25 2012 - 08:28:09 MDT

Dear all,

I am trying to access to hdf4 files by using PyNIO
and unfortunately it does not work.

What I did was install Python2.7.3 in my home directory
and compile everything together.

The error that I get is
-----------------------------------
>>> Nio.open_file('data.h4')
fatal:An internal error has occurred. The file format requested does not
appear to be supported, could not open (data.h4)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/home/dutour/opt/Python-2.7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PyNIO/Nio.py",
line 607, in open_file
    file = _Nio.open_file(filename,mode,options,history,format)
NIOError: Unable to open file
>>> print Nio.__version__
1.4.1

But if the format hdf4 is not supported then there should be some error
appearing during
the compilation because the INSTALL file and the web site are adamant that
HDF4 is
not an option.
And the file appears to be hdf4:
dutour@dutour-Satellite-L655:~$ file data.h4
data.h4: Hierarchical Data Format (version 4) data