2d interpolation with regular grids

From: Bryan Woods <bwoods_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 16 2011 - 16:12:45 MST

I've tried looking for a simple (and fast!) 2D interpolation scheme but
have found surprisingly little. What is the fastest 2D interpolation
scheme in Python that I can use? Most of the interpolation functions
seem to be for irregularly spaced point and are way too slow.

I prototyped this code in NCL and used the function linint2 for this
purpose and would like something with a similar syntax. I am using
simple 2D lat/lon grids so using . I am rewriting the code for
portability and speed this time.

Thanks,
Bryan