Re: PyNGL/PyNIO installation problems

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 08 2010 - 15:37:33 MDT

I am not sure what is going on here, but it looks like there are
different problems for PyNIO and PyNGL. Do you know if PyNIO was build
from source or installed as a binary? This PyNIO problem looks like it
related to the HDF4 library. Normally if the HDF4 library is build
according to the instructions on http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Download/build_pynio_from_src.shtml
  it will be compiled statically. Your version seems to be linked with
a shared version of the HDF library (called libmfhdf.so.0). It is
possible that you could get this to work by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
the location of libmfhdf.so.0. But we always recommend that libraries
be linked statically as much as possible.

PyNGL does not seem to be able to find the gfortran library. This
might also be fixed by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Just as a general point, just because the build and install complete
without erros, that does not necessarily indicate a successful
install. Because the nio.so shared object is loaded dynamically, it is
impossible to tell if the build was successful until you can import
the module and use it. You will only have a pretty good idea the
install was successful if you can run the test scripts.
  -dave