Fwd: HDF Bulletin: HDF5 1.8 Corruption Problem 2/26/10

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 26 2010 - 14:42:57 MST

This is more information about an HDF5 bug that I alluded to
recently. Even if you are not a user of PyNIO, if you have used HDF5
V1.8.0 through V1.8.4 you should read the bulletin below.

It may affect people who are using a version of PyNIO newer than
1.3.0b1 to write NetCDF files on big-endian machines (IBM/AIX, Sun/
Solaris, Mac PPC, for example).

I believe of the recent 1.3.0b4 binaries I mentioned yesterday, only
the PPC one (PyNIO-1.3.0b4.macos-10.5-ppc-py255-gcc401.tar.gz) will
be affected by this. I've removed this binary from the website.

I don't have a test script yet that demonstrates the problem. I hope
to create one soon.

Please read the bulletin below from the HDF5 group about when this
bug shows up, and how to determine if you might have written a NetCDF
file affected by this.

If you think you are affected by this bug and want a new version of
PyNIO, send me an email offline.

--Mary