Re: gsnMaskLambertConformal

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 09:24:57 MST

Hi Gary,

Go to http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Examples/gallery.shtml

and search for "conmasklc". Is this what you're looking for?

This involves changes to PyNGL that have to be compiled, so let me know
if you want a new version to try.

--Mary

On Dec 18, 2009, at 2:33 PM, Gary Bates wrote:

> Thanks Mary,
>
> I think this would be a useful function that many people would want.
> -Gary
>

> Mary Haley wrote:
>> Hi Gary,
>> I wish it were this simple! The masking of the lambert conformal
>> projection is done the kludgy way by
>> drawing a filled polygon over the part of the plot you don't want
>> to see.
>> I'll see if I can pythonize the function that does the masking in
>> the NCL version.
>> --Mary
>> On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:09 PM, Gary Bates wrote:
>>> hi,
>>> What is the corresponding resource in PyNGL to
>>> gsnMaskLambertConformal?
>>>
>>> I've made a Lambert Conformal plot which *almost* looks as I'd like,
>>> except that continental outlines spill outside my chosen map area
>>> slightly. How do I mask out the map outside the lat/lon area i've
>>> specified?
>>>
>>> I have:
>>>
>>> resources.mpProjection = "LambertConformal"
>>> resources.mpLambertMeridianF = -110.
>>> resources.mpLambertParallel1F = 50.
>>> resources.mpLambertParallel1F = 50.
>>> resources.mpEllipticalBoundary = True
>>> resources.mpAreaMaskingOn = True
>>> resources.mpGridMaskMode = "MaskMaskArea"
>>> resources.mpLimitMode = "LatLon" # Specify area of map
>>> resources.mpMinLatF = 25.
>>> resources.mpMaxLatF = 75.
>>> resources.mpMinLonF = -170.
>>> resources.mpMaxLonF = -50.