PyNIO signed/unsigned bytes

From: Supinie, Tim A. <Timothy.A.Supinie-1_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:09:03 -0500

Hello,

I'm using PyNIO 1.3.0b1 to read in some composite reflectivity data, which was encoded in signed bytes. When reading them in, I noticed the minimum valid value, which should be -127, is 129, and the maximum valid value is 127 (as it should be). The values in the data should also range from -127 to 127. I think PyNIO is reading all the signed bytes in as unsigned bytes, which presents some problems (the least of which is the fact that the minimum valid value is greater than the maximum valid value.) I'm curious as to whether that's a problem with the encoding of the file, if it's an option that can be set somehow, or whether it's a bug. I can provide a sample script and a data file if you need me to.

Thanks,
Tim Supinie