Layout of plot with PyNGL

From: Daran L. Rife <drife_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:01:46 -0600 (MDT)

Hello,

I'm creating a multi-panel plot with PyNGL, and
having a Dickens of a time getting all the panels
to fit within the viewport, while simultaneously
using the maximum amount of real estate on a PDF
workstation. The end result is heaps of "white
space" surrounding my panels, and the bottom two
panels partially lying outside the viewport. I
have attached the resulting plot.

For this particular plot, I am unable to use the
Ngl.panel function, which automatically lays out
the panels, fitting them within the viewport while
simultaneously using as much of the real estate
on the PDF page as possible. The reason I cannot
use Ngl.panel is that I am using the Ngl.wmbarbmap
to draw my station data. Ngl.wmbarbmap cannot be
used in conjunction with Ngl.panel.

I have done extensive searching of the excellent
online documentation and user forums, and have
experimented with various PyNGL resource settings,
all to no avail.

I would be grateful if one of the PyNGL gurus could
help me sort out the proper PyNGL calls needed to
achieve my desired plot.

I have placed the script and data on my FTP site:

ftp://ftp.rap.ucar.edu/incoming/irap/drife/

The main script is plot_soms_panel.py, and is called with the
following arguments:

> ./plot_soms_panel.py orig_som.cod TERRAIN_DOMAIN3.WSMR.nc stns_for_gmt

I'm running this from an OS X (Intel) Leopard box, using NumPy
1.2.1, and PyNGL version 1.3.0b1, and Python 2.5.0.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daran