Unlimited dimension troubles

From: Jesper Larsen <jlar_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 15:18:46 +0100

Hi PyNIO people,

I have written a converter which takes our ocean model output and
converts it to NetCDF. Previously I closed and reopened my NetCDF file
before adding a new timestep to the file. This way I had no problems
getting the length of the unlimited time dimension using the
NioFile.dimensions['time'] variable.

For performance reasons I am now keeping the file opened. When I try to
get the number of time steps in the file I now get None. How can I get
the current number of time steps or can I write a new timestep to the
file without knowing the number of time steps in it?

There was an old post about something similar but the attached file has
disappeared:

http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/User_forum/Archives/2007/0117.html

Hope you can help
Jesper