time axis annotation

From: James Boyle <boyle5_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:03:29 -0700

I have looked over the examples and documentation.
I do not find any direct support for a facility to label a time axis
with actual times.
For example. if I have a set of times, 1 , 2, 3 which are 'days since
28 Feb 2006', I can get labels '28 Feb ', '1 Jan', '2 Jan'.

I have the feeling that this is in the do-it-yourself category,
combining the datetime and time python modules but I figured I'd see
if there is anything I missed.
Probably, to accomodate model calendars one would also need Jeff
Whittaker's netcdftime module.
In any case some examples would be useful. More generalized than
ngl11p.py or meteogram.py.

--Jim