Re: Skewt help

From: Fred Clare <fred_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 16:33:00 -0700

Hi James,

On Dec 4, 2006, at 6:32 PM, jimmyc_at_iastate.edu wrote:

> Hi-
> I am wondering how I can generate a Skewt that doesnot go all the
> way to 100 hPa but goes to 500 hPa, so the plot can be large.
>
> I found the file: Ngl.py . It didn't look good for making a change
> to the skewt program. Am I missing something that I can change so
> that I don't have to place a modified skewt portion in that Ngl.py
> file.

I spent some time on this only to conclude that you are not
missing anything, that is, changing the code to do what you
want is not trivial. There are just too many hard-coded numbers
and arrays and interdependent things to change in too many
places.

> My purpose is to compare 3 soundings on one plot. I have the
> overlay "working" but the differences between the individual
> profiles are not that large and I want to "exagerate" the skewt so
> those differences are readily apparent.
>
> Thus another question is: Can the uses specify the colors used for
> each overlay for the temperature and dew point profiles?

Specifying color values for

   sktDewPointLineColor
   skeTemperatureLineColor

should work. Let me know if it doesn't.