mappping near the international dateline

From: Satellite Data Research Group <satgroup_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 11:57:51 +1300

Hi, not sure how the whole PyNGL-talk thing works, sorry.
I'm trying to map data near the international datelines (180degrees
east/west). specifically i'm looking at data over new zealand.
As soon as any of my lat/long coordinates for the data i'm mapping
crosses the international dateline, my map becomes a very distorted
view of the whole globe as seen from the south pole.
how can i prevent this and just see a normal map view of the area
crossing the IDL?
cheers