Re: overlay in panel plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:07:51 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu wrote:

> hi,
>
> i am using plot.append command to plot figures in panel plot and i need
> to use overlay properties in each panel. is it possible to use overlay
> properties in panel plot. how can i do this ?
>
> the example usage (without overlay),
> plot.append(Ngl.contour_map(wks, tr_trj, res1))
>
> failed example (for overlay plot),
> plot0 = Ngl.map(wks, res)
> plot1 = Ngl.contour(wks, tr_trj, res1)
> plot3 = Ngl.add_polymarker(wks, plot0, lon[xb,yb], lat[xb,yb], res3)
> plot.append(Ngl.overlay(plot0,plot1))
>
> best regards,
>
> Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu
> ITU, Informatics Institute

Dear Ufuk (I hope I'm using your proper name),

What you are doing above should work; in order to overlay plot1 on
plot0, you must set the sfXArray and sfYArray to arrays of longitude
and latitude values where your contours are to be overlaid. You are
probably already doing this since you said that Ngl.contour_map was
working for you, and this also requires the setting of sfXArray
and sfYArray.

The other thing about panelling plots is that the plots you are
panelling must be the same size, or you may get unexpected results.

If none of this is helpful, then can you describe how the second
method failed?

Thanks,