Re: ECMWF GRIB parameter tables in PyNIO

From: David Ian Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:59:53 -0700

PyNIO has compiled-in support for ECMWF tables
128,129,130,131,132,140,150,151,160,162,170,180,190 and 200.
If there are any other newer tables (or new parameters in any of the old
tables) that are not supported please let us know. We are always
looking for
examples of GRIB file types that we have not yet encountered and if your
experience contradicts the information above, please let us know.

See the heading "Built-in GRIB parameter tables" under

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB

It is also possible to create a text version of your own parameter
table and have PyNIO
read it if you set the environment variable NCL_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH to the
location of
the table. See the information under the heading "User-defined GRIB
parameter tables"
at the same URL for the format to use. You can also find conforming
text versions of all the built-in
parameter tables by following the links to each of them. These are
useful if you discover that
the built-in tables are missing some recently added parameter: you can
just copy the text version
of the table info and modify it as you please.

We do need to implement a more Python-centric alias for the environment
variable, and
also the format-specific info that is currently under the NCL doc tree.
As for the source code, it is not at present generally available, but
it is in our plans.
  -dave