Re: pynio/grib question

From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 15:38:33 -0600

David Ian Brown wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> You are correct that PyNIO does not currently give any indication of
> the precision of the data in
> any attribute similar to the CDC least_significant_digit attribute. I
> can look into this as a possible enhancement.
> However, a problem that I can foresee based on a quick perusal of some
> files with wgrib is that because the
> packing for each GRIB record is handled individually, based, I
> believe, on the range of the data within the
> record, the least significant digit may not be constant for all
> horizontal slices of a PyNIO GRIB variable. I would have to
> investigate further to know whether this is really the case. If it
> is, I suppose one could provide a maximum and
> minimum least significant digit for the variable as a whole.
> -dave

Dave: Thanks - you are right, the packing can change with level. I
think it would be very useful to have the maximum
least_significant_digit as an attribute in that case, at least you could
then safely ignore all the numbers to the right of that decimal place.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449