Reading GRIB ECMWF spherical harmonic data

From: James Boyle <boyle5_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:03:07 -0700

I am having a bit of trouble in working with some data that is from the
ECMWF.
The data are in spherical harmonics ( T511), not ERA40.

My question concerns PyNIO - I just want to make sure that Nio does not
do anything to the data when reading it from the file.
for example :Does the double precision data remain double ?

My concern is that all the examples appear to be gridded data, and Nio
might be 'helpful' in a bad sense for the spherical harmonic data.

Thanks for any help.
--Jim