Announcing version 1.0.0 of PyNGL and PyNIO

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:27:40 -0600 (MDT)

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the official 1.0.0 release of PyNGL and
PyNIO.

This version contains new functions, more examples, bug fixes, and a
new website to boot. For more information, please see the what's new
section at:

    http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/whatsnew.shtml

The biggest change is that we've made is to the default graphics
environment, which we think (hope!) will be considered a big
improvement. For one, the default background/foreground colors are
now white/black (instead of black/white), the default font is
helvetica (instead of times-roman), and the default color table is a
nice rainbow color map. If you don't like these defaults, you can
change them by editing the "sysresfile" (information available at
http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/Resources/resource_files.shtml#sysresfile).

This is a binary release, and we have binaries for 32-bit and 64-bit
Linux systems, PPC and Intel MacOSX systems, Sun/Solaris 9, and
SGI/IRIX64. You can get download instructions from:

    http://www.pyngl.ucar.edu/download.shtml

We are highly interested in providing binaries for other systems, so
let us know if you don't see your system on this list. I hope to
provide binaries for Cygwin in the near future.

This version uses Numeric version 24.2 for its array processing, and
we have also created a numpy (0.9.8) version that you can test. This
package is available for download at the same URL, and is a separate
package from the Numeric version. You can install both the Numeric
and Numpy versions of PyNGL and PyNIO as they won't conflict with each
other. Please see the download page for more information.

This is the first time I've done a binary release in this fashion, so
please email me personally if you have any problems with the binaries.
I will try to provide a fix right away.

Cheers,

--Mary Haley (and the PyNGL/PyNIO team Fred Clare and Dave Brown)