Re: PyNIO ? (informally announcing PyNGL 0.1.1b8)

From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:16:34 -0600

David Ian Brown wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> As a matter of fact, PyNIO has just been added to PyNGL as of last
> Thursday. The
> new beta release is PyNGL 0.1.1b8. Although for now PyNIO is only
> packaged along
> with PyNGL it is designed as a stand-alone module, and eventually we
> hope to make
> it available separately as well as together with PyNGL.
>
> As of now we have binaries for Linux (32 bit), Mac OSX, Solaris and
> IRIX (32 bit).
> We are still working out some 64-bit system issues. We are trying to
> put together a
> Windows/Cygwin version as well.
>
> i should point out that we are still working on improving the code for
> individual formats.
> Any Improvements we make will automatically be available both for
> PyNIO and NCL.
> We have separate readers for hdf and hdfeos. You can read an hdfeos
> file either with
> the hdf reader or the hdfeos reader. Because of recent improvements
> to the hdf
> reader, in some ways it works better than the hdfeos reader for hdfeos
> files. Mainly,
> the problem with the hdfeos reader is that it does not always make the
> coordinate variables
> visible. I hope to get this fixed soon.
>
> Also, we are intending to add support for new formats as soon as
> possible, including
> NetCDF 4, GRIB 2, HDF 5 and HDFEOS 5. Again these changes will be
> immediately
> available both for NCL and PyNIO. As a part of this change, we will be
> adding explicit
> support for groups of variables. The reason I mention this is that the
> naming scheme
> for HDF and HDFEOS variables will probably change since we won't need
> to encode
> the group into the variable name any more. Instead the groups will
> appear as directories
> in which the variables are found. However, we will have a backward
> compatibility option
> that will allow the user to see the variable names as they are currently.
>
> This post can be considered an informal announcement of PyNGL 0.1.1b8.
> -dave

Dave: I went through all the contortions to get the release from the
esg web site (I kept expecting it to ask me for a credit card number).
When I received the confirmation email, I clicked on the link and got:

ERROR: Globus I/O error: no credentials: GSS Major Status: General
failure GSS Minor Status Error Chain: acquire_cred.c:125:
gss_acquire_cred: Error with GSI credential
globus_i_gsi_gss_utils.c:1316: globus_i_gsi_gss_cred_read: Error with
gss credential handle globus_gsi_credential.c:248: globus_gsi_cred_read:
Error reading proxy credential globus_gsi_credential.c:833:
globus_gsi_cred_read_proxy: Error reading proxy credential: Can't open
proxy file: /tmp/x509up_u4161 for reading OpenSSL Error: bss_file.c:106:
in library: BIO routines, function BIO_new_file: system lib OpenSSL
Error: bss_file.c:104: in library: system library, function fopen: Too
many open files

Ugh. What every happened to good 'ol fashioned anonymous ftp?

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449