Re: Poor Font Rendering

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:23:53 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for your comments on PyNGL.

I don't know how the plots on the PyNGL website were created, but the
ones on the NCL website were created using the free ImageMagick
"convert" tool.

We first run the NCL script and have it produce a PostScript file, and
then we run "convert" on it as follows:

  convert -trim file.ps file.png

The "file.png" file is the one that ends up on the web. The "-trim"
option tries to trim out as much white space as possible. Sometimes
it cuts it a little too close. You don't need to use this option.

I use this method for creating nice PowerPoint images as well, except
that I convert the images from PS to GIF using:

   convert -density 300 -trim file.ps file.gif

As for why the images aren't as of good quality when you run them
on your machine: which example are you running? Is ths true for
all PyNGL examples? Which output format are you using?

--Mary