Re: PyNGL binaries being moved...

From: Jeff Whitaker <jswhit_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:44:20 -0600

Ivan Lima wrote:

> I'm sure almost everyone finds the new form annoying. But I
> agree with Mary on the importance of keeping good metrics of
> software usage. Otherwise, how are you going to justify to
> managers the amount of resources spent on the development of
> NCL/PyNGL? Particularly given the current tight budgets.
> Filling out an annoying form is a small price to pay to help
> ensure the future of NCL/PyNGL.
>
> - Ivan

Ivan, Mary et al: I am well aware the recent tendency of high-level
management to want to measure the productivity of everything ("we don't
care what your measure is, just make sure it's going up!"). I'm worried
though the in trying to create the metric you'll actually be hurting
your numbers. It is rather an involved process to actually download a
release from the esg site - I think may people will just make do with
the old version they already have. Or worse, potential new users who
were thinking about giving it a try won't bother.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449