Clearing a plot window

From: R. T. Pierrehumbert <rtp1_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:22:57 -0600

Yet another question about managing x11 plot windows.

Let's say I've drawn something into a workstation w, with
the resource nglFrame set to False, so that the prompt
is returned without erasing the plot or any need for the
user to click on the window. Now, if I draw something
to the same window, it overlays with the existing
plot, which in this case is not my intended behavior.
If I call Ngl.frame(w), then the user has to click on
the window to erase the plot, which is confusing and
superfluous. So, how do I get Ngl to erase the existing
plot in w without the need for the click?

I know I can delete the existing window and create a new one, but this
is bad if the user has sized and placed the window in a convenient
place, and doesn't want to resize/move over again.

(BTW I do attempt diligently to find these answers in the documentation
before appealing to the wisdom of the listserv)

Thanks,
Ray